[aprssig] TM-271A

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 13:41:59 EST 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:

>Has anyone tried to mod the TM-271A to bring the audio output to the mic
>connector like the TM-261?  Or is that conductor used for something else?

I've done exactly this with my D700.   I ran a wire from the fixed-level
RX audio on the MIniDIN-6 "acc" connector to the unused contact on the
mic jack.  Works perfectly.

I've done this on many of my older Kenwoods that use the round CBC-8 mic
connector as well.   Kenwood uses pin  6 on the round connector on some,
but not all, models for RX audio. There seems to be no rhyme or reason
to which radios came with audio here and which didn't.  Some models have
fixed audio here, others have variable levels similar to the speaker
line.  On the models lacking this connection, I connected a wire from
the hot end of the receiver audio control pot (i.e. fixed audio level)
to the unused pin on  the mic jack.

Some diagrams on my website  may be useful. Go to:
      http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo

Look for the files :
     KenMic_RX_Audio.pdf <cid:part1.07080006.08010200 at aol.com>
          (Lists the audio level and type (deemphasized or raw discr)
provided
           on the mic jacks of various Kenwoods.)

     KenMic Plug 8.GIF <cid:part2.08020706.03080404 at aol.com>
          (Pinout of the standard round mic jack on Kenwoods)

     Kenwood MJ-88 <cid:part3.03090208.01050504 at aol.com>
          (Shows the correspondence between the round mic jack pinout
and the
            equivalent pinout on the RJ45 connector.  This is actually
the diagram
           supplied with Kenwood's MJ-88 adapter pigtail that allows
older Kenwood
           mics with round plugs to be used with newer Kenwood radios
equipped with
           the RJ45 jack.

   MiniDIN6-Packet.pdf <cid:part4.00010902.00080203 at aol.com>
         Standard pinout diagram and notes about the MiniDIN-6 "data" or
"packet"
          connector.  This connector is standardized on all radios that
use it.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: