[aprssig] APRS System Overiding Fundamentals

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Mar 8 22:08:38 EST 2005

Bob, you make a good point... We just did an aprs indoctrination at the local
NWS office a week ago, and as one guy put it... Last time he spot checked APRS
is was just for tracking cars.  He had no idea about it's other uses.  Now, he
was specifically talking about weather apps such as the polygons made by the
NWS robot, doppler radar overlays.  We didn't have the time to cover much more,
but still, I guess the point is that the average ham may have heard of APRS but
thinks it is confined to tracking cars.  _This_ is the part of user education
that actually works!

Wes