[aprssig] APRS System Overiding Fundamentals

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Tue Mar 8 13:33:18 EST 2005

In May, one of the local emergency communication groups has plans to provide
communications for a bicycle event. An event similar to this was my first
introduction to local Ham's last year before I got my ticket. Before that
event, I had an interest in APRS. At that event, I saw how much help an APRS
display would be to the net controller. Net control often had to ask where
different assets were; they had no way (other than a log) to keep track of any
assets.

I am planning to participate in the event in May by working at net control
with an APRS station. I do not expect anyone on the route to have APRS
trackers (I may get lucky, but I am not counting on it). My plan is to
establish a list of assets that I need to keep track of and key points along
the route. We will have the assets use voice to alert us each time they pass
one of these key points. In addition to putting this information into the
event log, I will move the APRS object along the route. At a minimum, this
will let net control know visually where the  various assets are without
excessive voice traffic.

My plan sounds like what Bob's group did over 10 years ago. If anyone has any
advice on doing this, I would love to hear it. I hope that this goes over well
and is helpful.