[aprssig] APRS Message Idea

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Mar 5 21:20:49 EST 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on Friday, March 04, 2005 5:21 PM PST

> See the movie "Its a beautiful mind" or whatever it was...

Actually, it was "A Beautiful Mind". The main character (Nash) saw the world in a way no one could have imagined. He was a brilliant but schizophrenic genius that lived in an imaginary world that only existed in his own head. Nash might have been able to calculate the probability of a message getting delivered with the timing set by a "decaying algorithm" but in the real world, I figure if it hasn't been received after several tries, I happen to think that it makes a lot of sense to wait until the other station re-appears... and "retry on heard".  There is little point in sending a message to a station that has disappeared off the map, and no matter how urgent I feel a message is, sending it off in rapid fire sequence but with an algorithm that eventually decreases the time in between transmissions isn't going to help get it delivered if the station has disappeared or if the frequency is so busy that there is little chance of it being received. If the other station turns their radio back on, comes out from the tunnel or underground parking lot, or drives back into range, that is the time to attempt to deliver the message again.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH