[aprssig] APRS Message Idea

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:21:59 EST 2005

>>> ad6nh at arrl.net 3/4/05 1:47:11 PM >>>
>You do not set the Bulletin and Announcement Intervals,
>they are preset ...  You set a retry ONCE for ALL messages,
>not for "*Each* and *Every* message".

Yep, that makes it even worse...
 Again, that is why such simplistic approach to communications
totally fails on RF in the field.  Each message line and bulletin
line and announcement line has a different urgency!  And the
urgency changes on a minute by minute basis as each line ages..

The two most common failiures of the simplistic fixed retry
and fixed interval method are as follows:

1) A new user sends an urgent announcement of immediate
need to all stations at an event.  But only 2 stations get it
the first time.  The next RETRY is 30 minutes later!!!
By then the urgency is over and your comm system FAILED.

2) Or, you train users to change their defaults to every minute
for rapid real-time delivery.  Now your event fails because
each station that sends any message traffic routine,
or immediate, all keep sending everything every minute.
Your event fails from total overload of retries... of OLD data!
Or it times out and you don't get delivery while the guy is
out of his truck...  Again, your comm system FAILED to
deliver real-time info reliably..

>All of your arguments listed below are frivolous,...

Delivering new, urgent data quickly and not congesting
the channel with older retries at the same rate is not
frivilous.  It is fundamental to good human communications
design.

>and I'm kinda getting tired of hearing you blast the program
>that  I doubt you have ever loaded on your computer and
>looked at.

Wrong. we planned our annual event here to use it,
everyone wanted to use UIview because they "heard it
was the greatest thing since sliced bread".  Fortunately we
did a trial run the week before..  It was an absolulte failure
for all the "frivilous" reasons I have noted before.  Remember,
this was a real RF event.  It was a dozen or so stations all
trying to keep track of 30 different companies of Students
throughout  a day long event.    Lots of objects, lots of
messages, and lots of bulletins and announcments.

The lessons learned clearly, even by the most die-hard
users were that the fixed-rate algorithm for messages,
objects, bulletins and annoucnements  was abismal.
There was NO SETTING that would work.  It was
either too high and the channel was hoplessly overloaded
and everything was not reilable due to congestion, or if
they set the rate lower, then there was way too much
latency.  Bulletins messages and announcemnts never got
through in any reasonable time..

The only way to make it work was to agressively
manage the rate in real time and to change it before
and after each new object or message or bulletin.
Which anyone with a clue to what happens in a real
event is the last kind of burden you want to put on your
operators.  We abandoned it for the real event..

>We're just not going to switch back to DOS and run
>dosARPS anymore!

Im not asking you to.  Im just warning everyone about
the dangers of these simplistic algorithms used by
many new clones of APRS that make no effort to manage
the network and the flow of data in real time...

>I'm sorry, but blasting the usefulness of the software is
>going to do nothing but turn people off from APRS
>completely.

Im not trying to blast it.  I am only pointing out the significant
weaknesses of the simplistic fixed-rate-fixed retry, no-smart
-ack systems used by some software.  And how performance
at a real-time RF event is *drastically* reduced if said software
is used for lots of bulletins, messages, and objects.  If all you
use it for is to watch mobiles, or to message over the internet
you wont notice these problems.

But at all events that I am involved in, APRS is one of the
primary station to station communications system and it consists
of a lot more traffic than just watching the mobiles drive around.

> In the spirit of amateur radio, please pre-read your

Sorry, but users need to not be blind to these shortcomings
which will have drastic affects on their use of APRS in the
field if they plan on using it for messages, bulletins, and
lots of objects... (one of the primary missions of APRS, to
keep everyone informed in real time of everything that is
going on)...

de Wb4APR, Bob