[aprssig] Future APRS in every radio

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Fri Mar 4 15:04:20 EST 2005

Quoting Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:
> What this does is:
> 2) That he is LIVE

Let's us know he left his radio on.  He may be out of the car.  Or sleeping at
home.  Mostly I'm just poking at you here!

> How is the position done?  EASY:

The APRS / location part is pretty easy... but the QSY part is not.  Yes, it's
easy on a d700, but it already does APRS on the other 1/2, so it's a moot
point.  It would be really really cool to have a pic on the kenwood monitoring
the frequency setting of the right half of the radio and programming my status
text to match.

But alas, I don't know any other 2m mobile rigs that could be controlled
serially.  Several HF rigs, but no 2m mobiles... which leaves us largely at the
mercy of the OEM's to either give us this functionality or give us an interface
to hook our pic chips to.  Granted, mic up/dn buttons could be manipulated by
the PIC, but it'd still have no way to know the frequency you were on, or
sucessfully qsy to 144.39 and back.

How about we have the users just attach a tiny track to their radio and put a
callsign substitution TNC at the repeater site?  Or have some APRS user monitor
the output of the repeater for the mic-e burst and digipeat it over to 144.39?
Either way, the tnc listening to the repeater would place it's callsign in the
path as the insertion point, and we'd know the location of the repeater, and
the frequency.  Then we'd vicinity plot the user near the repeater if he didn't
have a GPS... Now if the repeater didn't have muting, the user may want to set
the manual TX interval to 30 minutes so as to not get too annoying.

Best of all, it works with existing tech we have today... the mim module or the
tiny trak 3.

Wes