[aprssig] NEW! IC-V82 - VHF/APRS Transceiver

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Mar 3 22:16:20 EST 2005

On the topic of putting a GPS in a radio... I was thinking today that it'd
be pretty cool to take a largish speaker mic and add a GPS receiver and
tracker.  Only trouble with that is getting enough power for the GPS
receiver - it'd need at least a couple of AAs.  Ideally you'd run it off the
radio's battery, but I don't see how you could do that without modifying the
radio.  A tracker alone could run off a lithium battery for quite a while,
but a GPS receiver's going to draw way too much.

Hmm.  I did recently see something on miniature wind turbines for cell
phones.  Perhaps we could use one of those, and harness the hot air of the
operator?  =]

Scott
N1VG