[aprssig] alt input digipeater

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Thu Mar 3 21:41:48 EST 2005

I was trying to think of a way to indicate to the users that alt input is
available on 144.99.  Although I realize this is pretty "out there" in
practicallity, what if we agreed on a specific PL tone (not 100hz) for any
digipeater in an area supported by alt input?  I don't know, say 67hz.  You
could LISTEN on 144.39 for a 67hz pl tone, and know that if the main digi
squawks using 67hz, that you are in an area that has 144.99 alt input.  I'd say
do this with the actual alt input transmitter, but it would TX so infrequently,
you could pass thru an area w/o ever hearing it.

By doing this, the people running no receive trackers such as tiny trak could
monitor 144.39 for 67hz and know that they could QSY to 144.99 with their tiny
trak rig...  I know this is out there, but hey, it's a 0 cost indicator.

I just picked 67hz... could be anything.

Also, it would be nice to have the local 2m and 70cm repeaters advertise the
APRS network.

Wes