[aprssig] APRS Message Idea

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Mar 3 09:52:05 EST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 8:21 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> It should have been in all code.

I just took a look at the spec (1.0.1 was the latest I found at
tapr.org) and googled for "aprs message decay algorithm" and found
nothing that would be useful for me if I were implementing a client.
If it's not in the spec, you can't blame clients for not implementing
it.

> But then it decays down to one retry every 30
> minutes until the station eventually comes on the air.

What I was looking for was the maximum number of times a message would
be sent (assuming the message wasn't ACKed).  I assume there is some
maximum number of times a message will be transmitted, otherwise the
entire network would have degraded into nothing but messages and
collisions.

> With APRSdos the message will always eventually get
> delivered.

Does this mean it retries forever?

-Jason
kg4wsv