[aprssig] APRS at Field Day 2005

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Tue Jun 28 12:28:58 EDT 2005

My experience was a little different.

In my area, there has been very little APRS activity over the past year - that
is until the last couple of months. During the last couple of months, we have
had two balloon launches which carried Pocket Trackers. The voice traffic that
was generated while we chased the balloons (one flew for about 5 hours)
generated a lot of interest in APRS. There was also a presentation at one of
the local clubs that helped get some more interest.

Our goal with the APRS field day setup was to demonstrate 1) how simple it
could be to get going with APRS, 2) the variety of hardware/software that
could be used with APRS, and 3) some basic uses of APRS.

At the field day location, we had a D700, a Laptop with a Soundcard Interface
and a couple of TinyTrak devices with HT's. We coordinated with a couple of
stations not at the fd location, but close enough to talk.

Using the laptop, we demonstrated Xastir, UI-View32 and APRS+SA. We used
Xastir and APRS+SA for messaging traffic.

We showed the hardware, talked about how easy it was. This sparked some trips
to people's vehicles to take their existing GPS's and radio's and turning them
into trackers with the TinyTrak devices. They were amazed at how easy that was
to do.

Others wondered about seeing maps without a laptop - we demonstrated (using
the GPS of the person with the question) how the D700 would place "waypoints"
on their GPS which would show up on the map page of their GPS.

We then had one of the remote stations (also running a D700) enable his digi.
We were able to digi a message to a further remote station (one that we could
not hear directly via RF) via this temporary digi. We also got a response back
from that station.

We had one station drive around the field day site and onlookers watched his
progress.

All-in-all, it was a very well received demonstration; as a result, I'm sure
that we will add APRS users in our area. And the operator of the temporary
digi learned how to get the digi setup in his D700 (as well as UI-View).