[aprssig] Packet routing, path specification.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 23 19:06:11 EDT 2005

>>> Wes Johnston <aprs at kd4rdb.com> 06/23/05 3:34 PM >>>
>...the APRS... network has devolved into a
>system that is open for abuse either willfully
>(WIDE7-7,RELAY),  absent mindedly (WIDE5-5)
>or those who... just set and forget their path.

Ah, but that was 3 months ago.  With the New-N paradigm
all of those problems are a long way towards being
eliminated.  When I really started hammering the New-N
Paradigm, of the 300 stations I can see easily here
in Baltimore, there were 5 or more using WIDE6-6
or greater,  10 ore more using 5-5, 20 or more
using 4-4, and 45% were using RELAY and WIDE.
The network was a mess.  We all agree.

Now of the same 300 there is no-one above 3-3
(well, maybe one per day wanders in)...  and
almost 70% are using WIDEn-N.  THe network is
working much better and the abuse is way way
down to almost non-existant.  If we can just
get rid of the few remaining RELAYS and WIDES,
we are pretty much working quite well.

So be careful what you are trying to fix.

Bob, WB4APR