[aprssig] Packet routing, path specification.

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Jun 23 13:53:40 EDT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> The result will be a human-less vehicle
> tracking system only.   Quite useless for
> facilitating ad-hoc human-to-human communicaiton
> (the original intent of APRS)...

  From what I remember of your presentation at a Dayton PacketBash so many
years ago, the original intent of APRS was that of 'geographical
situational awareness', a subset of human-to-human communication that was
facilitated by a broadcast protocol and a 'universal' digi alias.  Its use
of UI frames and universal digi in all directions is optimized for
one-to-many communications.  When the user's needs are for one-to-one
communications, there are lots of other less-crowded frequencies, AX.25
connected mode (locally) or potentially a future long-distance backbone
that uses ax.25 for individual links and maybe TCP for end-to-end control?
   My point is that the grafting on of a one-to-one messaging protocol onto
an inherently one-to-many broadcast protocol is the prime mistake that has
to be corrected.
   I support the aims of the NSR proposal to limit propagation on 144.39 to
a manageable level (with the increased granularity offered by my direct
geographical filter instead of/or in conjunction with the digi 'budlist'
approach).  I would like to see further development of a separate
network optimized for one-to-one communication.  The user's client
software could certainly support both, taking advantage of today's smart,
frequency-agile radios to switch back and forth as the needs arise.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin