Fwd: Re: [aprssig] Packet routing, path specification.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 23 10:57:29 EDT 2005

>what if the NSR spec that would allow you to specify
> _specific_callsigns, and route you as you indicate.
>But If you use even one generic alais (such as WIDE1-1,
> or no path, or even RELAY) that NSR would pre-empt
>your path.

Agree completely.
I do think that NSR can co-exist as long as it
permits sender chosen discrete paths as needed.  What
I completely object to is it's draconian stated approach
that will prevent ANY source routing under any
conditions.   Anyone who understands paths
will know that a directed path is MUCH MORE
efficient than ANY broadcast protocol to the
same distance.

Though I would modify your rule with one caveat.
An initial one-hop generic (WIDE1-1) would be
permitted so that in most cases you could keep
in touch with your immediate area (1 hop)
while also participating with a distant station..

Bob

Such an addition would allow the people who know what they are doing the
flexibility to do what they want - while the rest of the aprs community
using WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and such will have thier packet routed as the digi
owners see fit.

Wes