[aprssig] NOSaprs update - cross port digi with callsign substitution

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 23 09:22:00 EDT 2005

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 06/22/05 9:33 PM >>>
> I just drove to Dayton last month... - Why do I
>need to see a digipeater that is 120 miles ahead
>/behind me?

For appliace operators who just want to turn it
on and not learn about how to comunicate in the
network, it means nothing.

But for Hams that enjoy exploiting the APRS
system and THINKING about their operation  and
use it in a gentlemenly manner to share the channel
with others, it means everything.

While  I drive to Dayton, there are usually other HAMs
1 or 2 hours ahead or behind me that I want to keep
in touch with.  That digi that is 120 miles in front of me
on my radio lets me easily add that digi to my path if I
want to  facilitate a message to the buddy way out in
front. while not adding hopless QRM to everyone
in all directions from me.

Ham radio was never about plug-n-play,  It was about
learning techniques and enjoying the art of
comunications.  If you want plug-and play, get a
cell phone or buy wireless internet.

de Wb4APR, Bob

 Do you think the guy in virgina sending W4-4
knows he's clobbering us in South Carolina?  How many people have tiny
tracks that program them with two different configurations for east
coast/west coast travels?  I bet only a few do.  How many people program
their kenwood d700's with various paths?  I'll bet it's not too many -
but this email will probably bring those that do out of the woodwork.

One of the slick things about Pete's NSR idea is that it will mesh with
existing mobiles.... Let's say you are mobiling around with a path of
WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3.  If you wander into a NSR area, your packet will still
be digipeated all over the area.  Then when you wander back out of the
NSR area, the normal digipeaters will decrement the N-n's and your
packet will still get out.  That's the really slick part about
implementing Pete's system.... the home and mobile stations don't have
to do a thing... but enjoy reclaiming their LOCAL network.

What would really be slick would be that if Pete's system would allow
the people (like Bob, and me somedays) who want ot play the ability to
play.  How about this for a compromise?  If you create a packet with a
path that specifies _specific_callsigns_only_, then digipeat the packet
as it would digi today.  None of this <callsign>,<callsign>,RELAY stuff
either... 100% callsigns get digipeated as they do today.  How's that?
Of course the new AX.25 spec limits you to specifying only two
digipeaters instead of 7.

Wes