[aprssig] NOSaprs update - cross port digi with callsign substitution

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Jun 22 21:33:04 EDT 2005

William McKeehan wrote:

>Bob,
>
>Help me understand. I have taken a couple of snips from your earlier message.
>In these snips you point to the user knowing what needs to be done with
>his/her packet as opposed to the digi sysop. I have not been involved with
>APRS as long as some other have, and as such I can not think of examples where
>the no source routing approach would cause problems. Can you give some example
>situations where some "flexibility" would be needed.

Ahhh, hit the nail on the head... Most people want to "set and forget"
thier paths.... and they do.  If people would dynamically adjust their
paths suited to the area they were in, we folks on the east coast
wouldn't be griping about the truckers coming in from out west running
their W5-5 packets. (nothing against truckers, other folks run W5-5 and
W7-7 too). Initially I was against Pete's NSR scheme b/c I didn't like
the idea of handing over control of my packets to the sysops.  I thought
to myself, what if I only want my packet to go out 5 miles and the local
digiowner's digi makes it go 30 miles?

But when I put it into a real world practical perspective, I realized
that _very_very_few_ people adjust their paths.  The vast majority of
travellers set their path for a worst case and let it hammer away.  And
the rest of us pay the price.  Heck even some digipeaters advertise
their presence out 4 and 5 hops.  I just drove to Dayton last month from
SC, and thought to myself - Why do I need to see a digipeater that is
120 miles ahead/behind me?  Do you think the guy in virgina sending W4-4
knows he's clobbering us in South Carolina?  How many people have tiny
tracks that program them with two different configurations for east
coast/west coast travels?  I bet only a few do.  How many people program
their kenwood d700's with various paths?  I'll bet it's not too many -
but this email will probably bring those that do out of the woodwork.

One of the slick things about Pete's NSR idea is that it will mesh with
existing mobiles.... Let's say you are mobiling around with a path of
WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3.  If you wander into a NSR area, your packet will still
be digipeated all over the area.  Then when you wander back out of the
NSR area, the normal digipeaters will decrement the N-n's and your
packet will still get out.  That's the really slick part about
implementing Pete's system.... the home and mobile stations don't have
to do a thing... but enjoy reclaiming their LOCAL network.

What would really be slick would be that if Pete's system would allow
the people (like Bob, and me somedays) who want ot play the ability to
play.  How about this for a compromise?  If you create a packet with a
path that specifies _specific_callsigns_only_, then digipeat the packet
as it would digi today.  None of this <callsign>,<callsign>,RELAY stuff
either... 100% callsigns get digipeated as they do today.  How's that?
Of course the new AX.25 spec limits you to specifying only two
digipeaters instead of 7.

Wes