[aprssig] Determining paths

Paul Kronenwetter n2kiq at arrl.net
Wed Jun 22 16:49:12 EDT 2005

Keith,

  The only two ways I've seen to determine how a digi is to 1) Ask the
operator and 2) get within range and start sending packets that you
expect them to do something with.

Normally if you send a packet with the callsign of a known digi as the
first station, and it hears you, it'll repeat the packet.  If a digi is
operating within the new paradigm, it'll respond to WIDE1-1.  W4MCO-10
should be configured for the new paradigm by the start of Field Day and
you should be able to hit it from where you are (about 6mi from me).

If the digi is operating under the old paradigm it might respond to
RELAY, WIDE or TRACEn-N but it's up to the operator.  Also, if the
system isn't necessarily setup as a digi but is configured to relay
local packets, it'll generally respond to RELAY.  I'm guessing this will
be "fixed" when the various software packages are next updated.  As for
whether a digi replaces one of the path elements with its own callsign
depends on the software.

'73 & Good luck!
-Paul

PS: I'm temporarily running a new-paradigm digi that sends traffic to
W4MCO-10 to bridge the time until we can change W4MCO-10 into a proper
new-paradigm digi.   So, you should be able to use WIDE1-1 or WIDE2-2
within range of N2KIQ-2.