[aprssig] Did ICOM DSTAR ever take off ? can it be used for APRS ?

John Gleichweit smokeybehr at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 22 08:57:13 EDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:44:37 -0400, "Rich Garcia"
<k4gps at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I loved the idea of the D-Star till' I saw the price of just 1. My idea was
>for last mile Internet to the repeater site since 1.2 would work but 2.4
>WiFi is
>pushing the path a bit. If they ever get the mobiles down to the $500 range
>I think they got a winner but the last price I saw was somewhere near
>$1200!!
>
>Rich

Which brings up another point where digital radio is concerned: Why go
D-Star when you can get a tried and proven standard like P-25 digital
for voice, and pay roughly the same amount, and get analog and digital
approved on commercial frequencies (when needed).

The concept of a D-Star WWAN is great, but the problem is in the cost
of equipment.

--
John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
IPN-CAL023 N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5 ECV1852