[aprssig] WIDE4 or > 6-19

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 20 15:40:44 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >Browsing the logs and thought I would post my latest
> >list of WIDE4 and greater unproto paths....
>
> Yes, this is the problem.
> The only way to solve it is to use QRZ.COM and
> atttempt to send emails to each station that seems
> to not have been made aware of how bad RELAY
> and WIDE are and how large N's are not a good
> idea for digis and how HID must be off and the
> digis should have the new-N timings.
>
> Every few days, I send out a new set of messages
> to local operators and emails on weekends when I find
> the time in my area.  Be nice... of course.

We have a slightly easier method of doing this:

    http://packet.fortgirlfriend.com/usage.html

That's our northwest hog counter.  You can quickly/easily see who's
at the top of the list, check their raw packets to see what might be
at issue, and then click on their callsign to try to snag their
e-mail address from QRZ.

I've had wonderful responses from those contacted so far.  Several
paths have changed to the new paradism because of it.  Some of the
stations near the top of the list are now there due to high transmit
rates instead of long paths now - The next thing that we need to try
to optimize.

Hopefully we'll start flagging stations on RELAY/WIDE/TRACE as well
as on long paths soon, then can start contacting more of them that
are using the old paths but aren't near the top of the list.  It's
too much trouble to click through all the raw packet links looking
for all of them each day.

Going after the heavy-hitters on the list has really cleaned up the
frequency around Seattle.  There's a lot more room for growth.