FW: [aprssig] APRS Field Day on 145.01

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jun 19 12:54:32 EDT 2005

Scott,
You are absolutely right.  It is abysimal how poor
most of the packet signals on the air are.  They
were never adjusted for levels and could be
suffering 20 dB or more in performance, yet,
to them "it works" because they can hit the
nearest DIGI or BBS and so they dont care about
performance.  But they sure will notice it when they try
to make any contacts without existing digis.

And my other pet pieve is that they dont listen
to the channel to hear what is going on!
Watching they BUSY lamp or the CONNECTED
LED is not the way to be "tuned in" to what is
happening on the channel.. when an operator
is present ...  If they listened, then maybe
they would hear the bad signals and fix them...

>>> Scott Cronk N7FSP <n7fsp at yahoo.com> 06/19/05 12:31 PM >>>
Amusing that you say this.  Recently one of the
folks here got a field lesson in trying to make
plain ol Packet Radio connections - was amusing to watch.
(I know you know who you are... you're reading this!
Name withheld to protect the guilty!)

Biggest problems folks need to learn is to NOT use
RG-8, or RG-58 on VHF and even UHF.   Its okay to
use in your car because the run is short and it fits
out the window or doors for an installation - but do
NOT use 100 feet of it at home!   Use 8214, 9913,
or 9090-flex instead!  That and a good antenna.
1/4 waves don't count!

--- Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

I think it can be a great opportunity for everyone.
APRS  operators need to learn and understand
how to operate conventional packet, and BBS's
and all other kinds of packet applications.  Also
they need to learn how to establish quickly networks
in the field on demand.  Also we need to learn
what else is out there in their community.

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com