[aprssig] Designating HOME Igates

kc5zrq kc5zrq at d-star.us
Sat Jun 18 02:58:19 EDT 2005

Steve, you need to ask your local I-Gate operator to connect
to a filted feed port instead of a full feed port.  Have him
use a filter such as "filter m/120".  That should cover your
county and the 9 surrounding counties (out to the state
line).  This will allow any station within that area to send
and receive msgs through the I-Gate.  Positions will be
gated both ways until one of the stations travels beyond 120
km of the I-Gate.  There should be no need for the I-Gate
operator to enter your callsign into any sort of filter.

Example, if you drive southwest, away from the I-Gate, and
you leave the range of the local RF digipeaters, but you can
get into another digipeater within range of an I-Gate in
another city, then your position will gate back out on RF
from the local I-Gate as long as you are within 120 km of
that I-Gate.  You should be able to send and receive
messages regardless of your position, if you can reach a
similarly configured I-Gate.

With the configuration that I described, the position of the
station you sent a message to will beacon its position
through the local I-Gate on RF until messaging becomes idle.

----- Original Message Follows -----From: "Steve Slay"
<aprssig at lists.tapr.org>Subject: Re: [aprssig] Designating
HOME IgatesDate: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:05:19 -0500> Do you
know if this is supposed to work with all I-gate> software,
or just  some of them?> > I have sent many messages from RF,
through an IGate, over> the APRS-IS, out  another IGate to
RF and have never seen> the position of the far end station.
 Nor, has my position> been seen at the far end RF station
that I know of.> > Just wondering,> > Steve Slay> KC5MVY>
Where am I now?  http://tinyurl.com/i4ia> See the weather
RADAR  http://tinyurl.com/i4i7> Try this one
http://tinyurl.com/i3ni> "Only two things are infinite, the
universe and human> stupidity, and I'm not  sure about the>
former."    Albert Einstein> > > > > > > ----- Original
Message ----- > From: "AE5PL Lists" <HamLists at ametx.com>>
Friday, June 17, 2005 4:52 PM> Subject: RE: [aprssig]
Designating HOME Igates> > > > If you want your position to
show up for some amateur> radio operator to see in a remote
area, send them a> message!> > > >