[aprssig] Designating HOME Igates

n2lbt at spamcop.net n2lbt at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 17 19:57:26 EDT 2005

I offer a version of this service to anyone I see local on the
internet. When they come online (testing, learning whatever) I send
them a quick note welcoming them to APRS. Once the dialog is started
and I understand what they're up to I explain I run a 2-way igate
here and offer to reverse gate their packets until they get a TNC and
radio setup. As long as they treat this like a live RF port, all is
well. They really appreciate it and then their other friends see them
and they feel like they're part of the game.

I have done the "home" thing manually on request, but this was on an
individual basis, based on a certain SSID. So far no one has abused
it, but I really wouldn't let that happen.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT
Sysop APRSALY