[aprssig] Universal digi path

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jun 17 15:22:27 EDT 2005

Paul W2PI wrote on 17/06/2005

> This raises an interesting point - as I understand it, if you want to
> track one station (the traveller) from another (home) that are more
> than a hop or two apart, you have two choices: <snipped>
> This would use the internet like a wormhole to get the data off the air
> where it isn't needed, but put it back on the air in a specific region.

This already exists. It's called an IGate - hi! The mobile station should
use a responsible path such as WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 and hopefully
always make it to the closest IGate. Back home, contact your closest IGate
operator and ask if they will gate that particular mobile back onto the RF
for you. The Internet does indeed provide a wormhole from every single IGate
to potentially every other IGate.

Another option... if the "home" station has an Internet connection, they
could just install an APRS client (such as UI-View www.ui-view.org) and
connect to an APRS server directly and they would have their own wormhole!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH