[aprssig] Universal digi path

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 16 22:50:02 EDT 2005

Regarding NC digis:

Remember that some of the sysops in NC marched
off smartly when we began exploring the New-N
Paradigm with the idea of SSn-N routing.  But that
was before we figured out how to TRAP large WIDEn-N
abuse.  From that point on, we went back and made
WIDEn-N the universal path for the New-N Paradigm.

Maybe some of those early NC digis never switched
back to WIDEn-N?  It is important for everyone that
did not follow all the discussions closely to realize that
the New-N system was not final until Late April and
there were many learning steps along the way.

We see a large number of "L" digis that seem to
still be poping up even though they were also
left by the wayside in the final consensus to make
all digis be "S" overlay digis that support WIDEn-N
and SSn-N.

Please make sure all digis sysops read the web page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

or just google for fix14439.

de WB4APR, Bob

>>> n4qwf at ntelos.net 06/16/05 8:08 PM >>>
Here I am on the outer banks of North Carolina. I was here two weeks ago
and enjoyed seeing my position reported on Findu without any problem. I
was using the Tiny track and Kenwood V7A in my wifes car then. I am sure
the Proto path was set to Wide3-3. While I have been here this week using
my D700 and the same path I don't see my position digipeated. I see other
stations on my screen without any trouble and the node shows up all ok but
no ack of my postion. I setup my D7 HT and monitored my transmissions and
I showed up on my Winaprs map here at the house so I know I am sending a
good positions. When I left home the Wide 3-3 worked just fine till I got
to Currituck and then it stopped working. My question is has the alias of
the path been changed or something. I have tried the call of the node,
Wide, Wide1-1, Wide3-3, relay, NC1-1 among many proto paths without any
lucky. I would think there should be a path setting that should work
regardless of where you travel. If that is not the case what is a fellow
to do while on the road. After all that is what APRS was supposed to be
about I thought. Well maybe someone can clue me in on what gives. Thanks
for any help! 73's << John