[aprssig] CW stations and ui-view igate

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 16 12:24:29 EDT 2005

Eric Christensen wrote:

> UI-View is seeing as "foreign".  There is a way to gate them out,
> though, in the igate.ini file BUT I warn of how you have them setup.
> CW*=ALL will put thousands of stations out on RF.  Not a very good
> idea.
>
> Email me directly if you need specifics on the modification to the
> igate.ini file (or you can look for yourself).
>
> 73s,
> Eric KF4OTN

Eric,

Good point about RFing CW stations.  However, I would not even give
instructions on HOW-TO.  This is the last thing we want being Gated to
RF!  Once it starts being Gated to RF then every Digi within ear shoot
will QRM the channel and possible overload!

My suggestion is NOT to Gate CW over RF period and just leave it to the
APRS-IS servers to keep it on the internet side only!

If you only knew how many CW station were out there and not just in the
U.S. but World Wide.  It would be a catastrofy!

Ed, KF4CHG