[aprssig] Understanding IGATE

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Jun 16 06:13:15 EDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Jeremy Bair wrote:

> I have found these options available in UI-View32 but found it
> strange that APRS-IS does not coordinate IGATEs in a switching
> configuration to best route messages,

I agree with Pete, what you have to remember is that RF propagation
is not constant, accounting for all the possible variations would be
difficult, and more likely to result in missed messages. The original
design of the APRS IS was to make it as likely as possible that
messages would be delivered. About the only thing that I would do
differently now is to have provision for primary and secondary
IGates, where one IGate could be a hot standby for another. Now the
choice is to have both active two way IGates (more QRM on RF) or one
active and the other one-way (requires the backup IGate operator to
recognize that the primary is down and reconfigure as a two way IGate).

If I understand your problem correctly, this could be the cause.
There might have only been a one way (RF to Internet) IGate feeding
the RF packets to the APRS IS and on to findU, but a one-way IGate
cannot send Internet messages back to RF.

Steve K4HG