Fwd: [aprssig] GPS info

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 05:10:22 EDT 2005

kc5zrq at d-star.us wrote:

>Can someone tell me what make and model of TNC can properly
>support the new WIDEn-N paradigm in a standalone
>application?
>--------------------------------------

There are only two as of now.   A KPC3+ (exact settings vary depending
on what firmware version [ 8.3 or 9.0] is in it) will work,     -OR-
a TNC2 clone (MFJ -127x, etc) equipped with UI-DIGI firmware.

Others such as PK-232s, stock TNC2s, etc have no APRS-specific firmware
and can't do WIDEn-N decrementing, callsign substitution and dupe
supression.  However, they can be used with a PC (preferrably in KISS
mode) or used as a dumb  "new RELAY"  WIDE1-1 home fill-in digi.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs