[aprssig] New Digi Settings

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Jun 9 16:33:27 EDT 2005

And APRS is a broadcast network.  Trying to shove Flexnet on top of it
breaks all current APRS users and attempts to redefine APRS as a
connected network.  This would not be acceptable either from an APRS
network design standpoint (throw out the baby with the bathwater) or a
user standpoint (my software or hardware doesn't work any more).
Remember, there are literally thousands of preprogrammed devices which
won't support network layer routing.

I am not putting down Flexnet.  I am sure it is great for what it was
designed to do.  It just isn't APRS broadcast design.  If you want to
connect to some remote place, use a connected protocol and network, not
the APRS network.

Your statement above did not show a limitation of APRS-IS.  It simply
stated how APRS-IS is able to handle not only the APRS traffic of today
but also of tomorrow.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net