[aprssig] New Digi Settings

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Jun 9 10:42:12 EDT 2005

What "limitations in the current Internet backbone" do you think flexnet
would fix?  The problem with flexnet is that it is still source routing
under a different name.  Let me ask you a simple question regarding your
IGate example: can you, in today's telephone and Internet networks,
force a connection to a remote speaker phone telephone or to a remote
computer if those remote devices do not answer you request?  The answer
is no.  Yet, you think it is perfectly all right to force that remote
IGate operator to gate your packets to RF just because you say so in
your path?  Again, this is source routing and should be eliminated
_completely_ from the APRS network so that the APRS network can go to
the next level and be a truly useful mode of communications instead of a
just a toy for a few hams to play with.

As I pointed out, the way you get there is to eliminate the need for any
user to have to configure more than their callsign-SSID and how they get
their position information into their software/hardware.  From there,
the network should be able to distribute that information without
further interference from the user.  The second you introduce any type
of paths, including destination "areas", into the equation for a
broadcast-type protocol, you will fail to achieve a stable and reliable
network because it now depends on thousands of users getting it right
(which won't happen nor has it ever happened).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net