[aprssig] Re: WinAPRS mobile

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 2 19:01:07 EDT 2005

cak at dimebank.com wrote:

>The Compaq/HP units are pretty cheap, pretty powerful, and have
>a decent display. Does WinAPRS or Xastir run on them? Do they
>have enough audio capability to run a "audio card TNC"?  I don't
>have religious issues about if the unit is running PocketPC or Linux.

Pocket PCs ARE NOT miniature PCs!  They run on one of several different
non-X86 processors and the operating system IS NOT Windows, although it
superficially "looks like" regular Windows.  The system architecture is
fundamentally different from standard PCs in that the OS and programs
are stored in, and executed in-place from, flash memory (i.e. from RAM)
rather than being stored on disk and booted into RAM for execution.

As a result, no normal PC software (Such as WinAPRS) will run on Pocket
PCs, although some programs have look-alike counterpart versions for the
Pocket PC such as "Pocket Word", "Pocket Acrobat", XMap Portable (Pocket
version of Street Atlas), etc.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs