[aprssig] Win APRS Mobile

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 20:50:32 EDT 2005

I'm not familiar with the particulars on WINAPRS or that GPS, but using
a D700:

The GPS (I use Garmins, GPS II+ and Streetpilot) stays plugged in to the
D700.  Hook the Laptop up to the serial port on the front of the radio
body. Use a straight through cable, NOT a null modem.

Sent the radio's TNC to "PKT"  This bypasses the internal APRS firmware
and turns control of the internal TNC to the software.

Ensure the sofware uses a TNC initalization file for the Kenwood radios.

The GPS feeds data to the radio which is passed through the serial port
to the APRS software.

I've been very successful in this using APRS DOS and APRS+SA.

Good luck and 73

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS