[aprssig] PCSAT2 Downlink Challenge

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 16:29:50 EDT 2005

aprssig at ei7ig.org wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2005, at 16:56, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>

>> When PCSAT2 is enabled on Monday or Wednesday,
>> (1,3 Aug) we'd like to capture as much of the
>> 1200 baud and 9600 baud telemetry on 437.975
>> MHz as possible.  See the plan on:
>> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pec/pc2ops.html
>>

> Evening,
>
> I've a dumb question.  A couple of them actually.  EI8JA and I were
> thinking of trying to help out, but we have no experience of
> satellite operation (other than an odd digi through pcsat or ISS).
>
> He has a shiny new TS-2000 connected to a Diamond X510N
> http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Diamond_VHF_UHF_Antennas.html mounted
> fairly high up at his home QTH.
>
> I've got a Yaesu FT-847 and a soundmodem interface (I've not tested
> it yet at 9k6... I will after I send this email) connected to a X-300
> (same url as above).  I'm at one of the highest points around where I
> am and can see to the horizon from the southwest to just shy of due
> east.
>
> I've got the TM-D700 in the car and a TH-D7 as well.
>
> We have a Yaesu 736 connected to a X-300 and a 9K6 TNC in the college
> (Near EI8JA's QTH), but I've not got the levels right yet, its not
> receiving packets correctly.
>
> Would anyone have any suggestions as to how we could make best use of
> this kit, with the highest likelihood for generating useful results?
>
> Yours in experimentation,
> de John
> EI7IG

1)   You need to replace the antennas!    These tall, super-gain
collinears concentrate transmitted and received signals toward the
horizon, and will pick up almost nothing when the satellite is more than
about 10-15 degrees above the horizon (which is most of the time during
a pass!).   The higher the claimed gain of a vertical, the worse it will
be for satellite operations.

For satellite ops, you need high radiation angles with fat lobes looking
upward (the exact opposite of what you want for terrestrial DX). If you
don't go for a steerable beam with dual rotators (azimuth and
elevation),    a simple 1/4-wave vertical over a ground plane (i.e. a
19-inch mobile whip on a car's roof or equivalent metallic surface such
as an aluminum window screen or piece of sheet metal) , or a turnstile
(crossed horizontal 1/2-wave dipoles mounted over a metallic surface )
will receive from "up above" far better.

2)   For work at 9600, you must tap the receive signal off the radio's
discriminator output (not the speaker output or equivalent).    The
6-pin MIni-DIN "data" or "packet" connector (if it exists on this
particular Yaesu)  provides the direct discriminator connection
required.   Details of the pinout of this type of jack, now standardized
on many radios is on my web site at:
    http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo
On this page of assorted files and documents, look for and download the
Acrobat PDF  file     " MiniDIN6-Packet.pdf ".

Typically the signal level for the direct discriminator output is much
lower than the de-emphasized audio or speaker output (usually 30-60 mV
compared to 100-500mV or more at the RX audio outs.   You may have to
change jumpers or straps inside the TNC to increase it's input
sensitivity to make it work with the 9K6 discriminator output.

3)   The TS2000 appears, from studying the manual (I'm about to buy one
myself), NOT to have the easy access to the FM discriminator for 9600
baud operation of an external TNC. The audio outputs for the primary and
secondary receivers provided on the 13-pin full-sized DIN "ACC2" only
provide de-emphasized speaker-type audio suitable for PSK31, SSTV, 1200
baud packet operation, etc but not suitable for 9K6.  The internal TNC
of the '2000 is the same TNC-on-a-chip as in the D700 and TH-D7, but
without the APRS-specific firmware for standalone operation.   The
internal TNC is capable of 9K6 operation and should be useable if placed
into KISS mode operation and used with an external application such as
UIview.

4)   For monitor-only operation and easy capture/logging,  an
alternative would be to use the AGW Packet Engine communicating with the
TNC in KISS mode, along with it's companion freeware applicaton AGW
Monitor .   AGW monitor displays and optionally logs, with time stamps
from the PC system clock,  the incoming packets from the TNC.   AGW
Monitor is a very hassle-free essentially  zero -configuration program;
just install and run it after installing the Packet Engine.  Monitor can
run while other apps are connected to AGW; i.e. AGW PE can be sharing 1
or more TNCs with UIview, while AGW monitor also captures, time stamps
and logs data from each TNC individually or together.   [ The advantage
of AGW Monitor is that it captures and displays everything that comes
out of the TNC(s) before applications filter, interpret and possibily
reject certain packets.  The view is similar to the "TERMINAL" window in
UIview, but with a separate tabbed window for each TNC or virtual TNC
passing through AGW PE. ]

By themselves, AGW PE and AGW Monitor paired are a very undemanding set
of programs that will work well even on low-powered PCs. (I am assuming
the use of AGW as a distributer of data from an external hardware TNC,
not as a soundcard "soft TNC".) .

If you have a PC with sufficient "horsepower" (approximately Pentium II
300 or higher) and a soundcard with a stereo line input, the AGW PE
softmodem can be configured to act as TWO TNCs, one on the left channel
and one on the right channel, emulating something like a Kantronics 9612
dual-port..   You could set one to 1200 baud connected to one radio via
the speaker output, and one to 9K6 connected to the other radio via the
discriminator output.   Note that you MUST have a line-level input to
get the stereo input; the mic input (often the ONLY input on laptops) is
single-channel (MONO) and can't use this feature of AGW PE.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf