[aprssig] Special GPS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:52:48 EDT 2005

I was wondering about using one of many 10 foot
tracking dishes in my backyard to track the sun
and focus an aluminum reflective dish onto a
boiler at the feed.    Then run a steam turbine
to generate power:

* about 7000W solar energy
* with 30% conversion efficiency, about 2kw
   could be available?
* Are there any off-the-shelf hobbiest steam
turbines?

These 10' dishes with just one motor can easily
track the sun.  Only once a week or so, you would
need to use a wrench to re-adjust the declination
for the seasonal variation of the ecliptic.

Bob