[aprssig] web based aprs cleint

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Jul 14 07:28:29 EDT 2005

javAPRS is a Java applet that allows many viewing capabilities.  It is
receive-only as IMO it could be disastrous to make a web-based
bidirectional client.  APRS, as pointed out by Bob, was designed for
amateur radio and IMO I don't think we want to make it a SMS system for
the general public, especially since there are many other, much better
IM systems around.

While security is not strong on APRS-IS, we have been relatively blessed
by people not abusing the system.  Personally, I would _not_ like to see
APRS-IS opened up to the general public which a bidirectional client
would essentially do.

For more info on javAPRS, see http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprs  To see
javAPRS in action, see http://www.jfindu.net

73,