[aprssig] APRS near pensacola

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 11:36:42 EDT 2005

Edwards, Chris wrote:

> Hello All,
> I was checking to see if there was anyone still on the air with APRS or
> Winlink in Pensacola. I know it will probably be a few days, but I wanted to
> check before we headed down for Disaster Relief Thanks!
>

> chris ae4xo

Chris,

Before you make traveling arrangements to Florida, you will have to get
a tracking number issued to you from the local EOC before you can enter
the area.  If you do not have a tracking number issued to you, then you
will be on your own and will possibly be turned back to home.

This was brought up at the SERT conference last month in Tallahassee.
I've checked with the ARES SEC Joe Bushel, W2DWR and he stated that all
volunteers for communications were canceled and to stand down at this time.

If however, you are with a different group wishing go in for Disaster
Relief, you would still need to contact the local EOC.

Thank you,
Ed L Locklear, KF4CHG
ARES EC Columbia & Suwannee Co., FL