[aprssig] Object DENNI_ato Cannot Be Seen on RF Path

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Jul 10 13:31:32 EDT 2005

Chris N4BSA wrote on 10/07/2005

> I'm with you - I think we've done more harm than good with some of these
> changes implemented. While this might have been a good solution for the
> NE corridor or California, I think we've crippled the network in areas
> such as
> our own.

Chris - I sympathize, but I think that you must admit that changes were
needed where there was lots of congestion on 144.390 MHz. Huge increases in
efficiency have been seen. With that said, what would it take to see the
objects that you are looking for? Perhaps one or more IGates could be set up
using different paths for severe weather objects. Perhaps it will take more
IGates, but using short paths compatible with their local network. Perhaps
it will take a series of digis with non-standard paths working in
conjunction with IGates set up specifically for those weather objects. I'm
sure that no-one wants a "fix" for the rest of the network to "break" the
network for critical weather objects. Times are changing. As more people get
into APRS, more changes will be needed. Talk about it with those around you
and innovate. Maybe a separate UHF weather only network could be set up in
your area to make sure critical weather objects or even weather related
messages can make it to where they need to be heard, and then back out on
VHF but with a short path. Hopefully you and others can come up with a
workable solution that doesn't just go back to dupes and stupid long paths
for everyone that will just kill APRS.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH