[aprssig] Shacktopus and Findu at /.

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Jul 10 08:39:34 EDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 6:58 PM, Andrew Rich wrote:

> just someone pulling all different components together

Actually, it is a lot more than that, but the Slashdot link focused
on the wrong component. The core is really called the rig-nexus,
which if you looked at the pic is the missing component. It is a
single board linux computer with audio and serial crossbars
(something Steve is famous for, they were the key to Behemoth) which
link all the other stuff together. Shacktopus is Steve's
implementation of all of this into a man-pack. My implementation will
be for my RV, using a rig-nexus to handle all the interfacing.

Just as an example, the system will be watching APRS for when I
approach, at nighttime it will turn on the lights in the RV when I
enter a 100 meter circle. It will function as an intrusion alarm,
sending out a voice notification on the 440 link between it and a
handheld or  mobile radio. It can query WinLink for messages, and
notify me on the link when I have a message coming in, and even read
it with the voice synth. Many other possibilities, all of this will
be user-programmable, Steve does very cool stuff...

Steve K4HG