[aprssig] I'm brainstorming, so don't beat me up!

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Fri Jul 8 09:41:00 EDT 2005

Andrew Rich wrote:
> psk31 for aprs ? on hf

PSK31 is an order of magnitude slower than HF 300 baud. Plus it has zero
error detection/correction. You definitely do not want mangled positional data!

I've played around (in a way) with q15x25, but at the time I had it up, I
didn't have a 2nd person to test with. It does look promising because it
ties in so well with AX.25 (but doesn't have to!).

The Linux q15x25 (also called newqpsk) modem is built into the soundcard
modem system and so any linux APRS or packet program that utilizes the ax25
network interface to the radio can use q15x25 instead of 1200 AFSK,
transparent to the program.

It does look promising and even holds the 2500 bps (raw) data rate on HF
channels. Though, of course, it was designed for SSB rigs, it may still work
with FM, but without the weak-signal performance.

Unlike some other robust digital modes, q15x25 does not have a long sync
time, which rules out so many for APRS use.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.