[aprssig] I'm brainstorming, so don't beat me up!

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:34:59 EDT 2005

Actually, the 2-tone modem history pertains to telephone line
optimization for tone detection.  Preemphasis and deemphasis were
rampant, and tone detection was done with LC lumped constant filters.  A
single tone detector had a higher error rate.  Once you get to two tone
systems (remember RTTY?) one can start thinking about different encoding
and modulation schemes.  When one is thinking in terms of
bits/transition, multiple tones or constellations thereof start making
sense.

I suspect we could create a high performance CW system using DSPs but
we're talking now about transitions per bit rather than bits per
transition.  For what we're talking about, does it make sense?

gerry