[aprssig] track.cgi and google maps

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 13:07:11 EDT 2005

steve at dimse.com wrote:

> I've been working on getting Google Maps working in the track cgi.
> Unfortunately, it is not going well. It seems GMap does not do well
> when the number of icons rises, so something like the normal
> breadcrumb cgi is very slow (30 seconds to open a page with less than
> 400 points) on Safari, and refuses to plot all icons on Firefox:
>
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track2.cgi?call=n4rve&start=240&gmap=14
>
> .

This one pops up an error message I've never seen before in Windows
Firefox 1.04:
   "A script on this page is causing Mozilla to run slowly.  If it
continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive."  OK or Cancel
.  When I hit "Cancel" to dismiss the message, the track was drawn
normally.

IE 6.0.2800.1106C produced the identical results.

Opera 8.01 worked perfectly with no messages.

Initially, both the URLs below didn't work at all because of the space
between "cgi?" and "call=". .  This caused the Thunderbird email client
to only turn the first half into a live link. After copying and pasting
into the browsers and then closing up the space before hitting "Go",   I
got the following results for these two URLs.

> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track2.cgi?
> call=n4rve&start=240&line=1&gmap=13
>
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?
> call=n4rve&start=240&degree=19&line=1

After closing up the space, the first one produced the background map
but no track at all in IE.  It worked normally in both Firefox 1.04 and
Opera 8.01.  The track seems to include a straight line "hyperjump"
apparently due to one bad data point.

The second one works properly in all three browsers.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs