[aprssig] 9600? Faster?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jul 7 12:18:58 EDT 2005

Back in the dark ages, we did some tests in the Houston, TX area with
G3RUH modems at 9600 and 19200 baud.  We found that using conventional
voice radios with full narrow-band filters in place, optimized for voice
operations, caused problems.

Not wanting to restart the firestorm about eliminating the
preemphasis/deemphasis networks for TNC connections, and hence direct
connections to discriminators for receive data, our findings were that
both data rates tested performed much better with emphasis network
removal.  Period.

I suspect all of Tim's comments are on-track.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173