[aprssig] More digis are changing to the new paradigm

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 7 00:12:54 EDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> In
> sparse areas like out west, this simple change
> *drastically* cut down on useless QRM...

"Out west" where I am my Aloha circle is 36 miles and I have 250 RF
stations on my map currently.  I'd say Seattle, Portland, and LA are
hotbeds of APRS activity.  Quite a bit of activity in Victoria and
Vancouver as well.

If I recall correctly one guy in Seattle has an Aloha circle of 27
miles.  Might have been less.

My current stats:

                ALOHA radius: 36 miles
Stations inside ALOHA circle: 44
                       Digis:  7
         Mobiles (in motion): 20
             Mobiles (other):  5
                 WX stations:  3
               Home stations:  9

Even with all those stations on RF, the air is quiet at times, at
least from where I sit.  I'm sure the mountaintops are a lot busier.

I'm picking up one digi direct at 50.4 miles, another at 83.2 miles.
Sometimes I hear one Canadian digi direct that's more like 96 miles,
but he's not on the map currently.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer