[aprssig] Findu stats question

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Tue Jul 5 15:22:41 EDT 2005

At 12:29 PM 7/5/2005, VE7GDH wrote:
>Earl KD5XB wrote on 05/07/2005
>
>>What I was trying to figure out was how often I'm making it into
>>Findu with a path of WIDE2-2.  This may be good enough for that.
>
>I created a log file for KD5XB-2 for the last week. I was surprised to see
>that you had a TCPIP connection... I thought "the Internet was not your
>way of doing it" - hi! Out of approximately 140 entries, most were like...

         Until recently, I used the internet to see where several friends
are, to receive weather reports, and to use my station as an IGATE.  I
recently shut the IGATE off to see what effect it will have.  Everything
seems to be going through W5ALL in Roswell, with a bit of fading during the
heat of the day.

         If you want to see something really interesting, take a look at
how often I'm getting into the internet over the past 2 or 3 days, it's
quite a bit different.
<snip>
>That leaves about 125 beacons sent in via the Internet (that you don't
>seem to like - hi!) The odd thing (to me) is that if you have an Internet
>connection, why don't you make use of the connection to the APRS server
>that you are apparently connected to if you want to see more than the 24
>stations in your immediate vicinity "instead of watching the paint dry"?
>It's kind of like dying of thirst but there is a glass of water in front
>of you, but you don't want to pick it up.

         Interesting thoughts here.  Honestly, I like to see what I can do
with RADIO, and I think I let the internet feed "take over" here and I'm
taking steps to correct it.

>So, what's it going to be... propnet or APRS? With a HamHUD on the way, I
>think it will be APRS for now until you get a chance to acquire more gear!

         Actually, I'm leaning toward PropNet for the home station and APRS
when I'm mobile.  I can give my wife a link to my position on Findu and she
can use that, thus no need for APRS here.  Gonna wait a bit to decide for good.

         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info