[aprssig] More digis are changing to the new paradigm

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Jul 5 01:01:56 EDT 2005

Earl KD5XB wrote on 04/07/2005

> Good question. The first time I saw APRS, it was from the QRZ
> CD-ROM that included a callsign database and a TON of shareware. APRSdos
> was on there, I think it was version 7.2?  Maybe 2.7?  Can't remember, but
> it was a long time ago. The first time I tried it out, I just knew I had
> to use this mode. I have had a lot of enjoyment from it, I guess because
> it's similar to RADAR or something.

I have a feeling that you are still enjoying it!

re "Although there will always (be) people that won't get involved in anything related to ham radio unless it is done solely via RF, I honestly think that the APRS-IS is an integral part of APRS now."

> That may be true, but I'm not sure I want that to be MY way of using it.

That's fine, but hopefully no-one does anything to prevent beacons from your station from being gated to the APRS-IS, or prevents messages sent via TCPIP from popping out on RF near your location.

> that's my dumb tracker that was set up in my truck. The
> truck broke down and even though I brought the equipment
> home with me, I didn't install it in the loaner truck I'm in.
> Hopefully I'll be back in my own truck in a few days.
> And I'll be replacing the dumb tracker with a HamHUD soon.

Ah... the house symbol fooled me. Didn't realize it was a truck - hi! I haven't really studied the HamHUD much (I don't have one) but I'll bet that it will be a really great addition. Having message capability will be great if you travel much.

re two hop paths...
> I don't agree, there has to be some flexibility to cover various
> situations. In some places I frequent, 2 hops will get you to 2 digis,
> but no human operators and no IGATEs. On the other hand, some
> other places I frequent are so saturated that 2 hops is just way too much.

I agree! There has to be some flexibility to cover various situations. Oh... that's what you said - hi! In spite of the general recommendation of a two hop path (most places) there is nothing to prevent you from using a longer path if necessary... at least until such time that NSR becomes a reality. It takes people and money to make it happen, but perhaps some places need more IGates, or perhaps there need to be better high elevation digis in the places where it is a long way between IGates and human operators. Not that I get to put it into practise very often, but the TinyTrak3 can be programmed with a "primary" and a "secondary" setting. By adding a switch, the user can set one path in the primary (e.g. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or just WIDE2-2 if it is more suitable) and another path (e.g. WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 or WIDE3-3 or WIDE4-4 or whatever) in the secondary setting. Does the HamHUD beacon positions as well, or just allow you to see other stations & send and receive messages?

re 'I just don't quite see eye to eye with "what's the point" if you only see 13 stations on the map'

> Well -- have you ever sat around and watched paint as it dries?  <G>

Ummm, no. That would be boring. I would rather spend my time putting up well placed digis or installing an IGate!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH