[aprssig] More digis are changing to the new paradigm

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Mon Jul 4 22:41:59 EDT 2005

At 08:26 PM 7/4/2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> >http://66.78.35.146/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=Kd5xb-2 )
> >Well -- many of the 50 stations within 96 miles of me
> >are in Amarillo, and there is NO path between them
> >and me.
>
>But that cannot be fixed by any value of WIDEn-N.

         You're correct, but what I was trying to point out is that "50
stations within 96 miles" is misleading.  It doesn't really fit the
conditions here.

>I'd suggest putting up a digi about half way near
>Hereford TX and that should link your digi to them
>and work well with 3 hops.

         That's been in the works for a while.  I'm not a part of it, but I
understand that project is moving towards accomplishment.

> >look 96 miles west of me, I see NO human users,
> >just a couple of digis.  The nearest human users
> >that I can see with any regularity are in Roswell
> >(just over 100 miles) and Albuquerque (220 miles).
>
>But don't you see them with 3 hops or less?

         I see W5ALL in Roswell on 2 hops, but it's not reliable.  And I
see a few Albuquerque stations on three hops, and also a couple in the Red
River area.  But aren't there APRS in Alamogordo and Las Cruces?  I'm not
seeing them any more.

> > look at these pictures, they may tell the story.
> > http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/elsie1/nodigis.png
> > http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/elsie1/digis.png
>
>If you can see that much on RF, I am envious.
>The second link above shows you have a 200 mile ALOHA
>circle and can see mobiles over 60,000 square miles without
>congestion.  Most of us cant see more than about 60
>miles or so...

         Psst!  Bob!  I've been trying to tell you this for a year or two!  <G>
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info