[aprssig] More digis are changing to the new paradigm

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Mon Jul 4 21:34:54 EDT 2005

At 07:16 PM 7/4/2005, Tom Russo wrote:
><snip>
>The 144.39 channel is nowhere near saturation at the moment, but with the
>vast number of digis in the state and their positions on really tall
>mountains,
>adding just one hop increases the noise.  When the URFMSI digis dropped RELAY
>and WIDE (the biggest change they made in adopting new n-N), the channel
>became much, much quieter.  It is now clear about 40%-50% of the time.

         Boy, it's REALLY clear here!  <G>

>Still, at my home station my calculated ALOHA range is 107 miles and contains
>16 "mobiles in motion", 6 "other mobiles", one WX station, and 7 home
>stations.
>The ALOHA range is that short due to the presence of 14 digipeaters inside
>that
>range, all of which can be hit from my station with one or two hops.  WIDE3-3
>is overkill in this part of the state, and while the channel is not severely
>congested it was pretty bad only a few months ago, mostly from RELAY,WIDE
>mess
>and trackers set to beacon two to three times per minute.

         As a comparison, my ALOHA circle runs about 200 miles most days,
IF I elect to see the digis in New Mexico.  if I exclude the digis, I can't
even get UI-ALOHA to generate an ALOHA circle, there are too few stations
out this way.

         My stats currently show:

         16 mobile stations
         3 wx stations
         7 home stations
         17 digi stations

>I hear stations from all corners of the state using 3-hop paths.  I get tons
>of 5-hop stations from out of the state, most of them on their third or fourth
>hop.  My current screen shows 250 stations heard on RF --- about 97 of which
>are digis, and many of which are as far away as 600 miles, using WIDE7-7
>paths.

         Wow, that's a LOT.  Where do they come from?  Nevada, Utah,
Colorado, or maybe all of these plus more?

><snip>
>And as I pointed out to Earl privately just a little while ago, the powers
>that
>be who changed the URFMSI digis did so in such a way to allow WIDE5-5 to
>continue in the Clovis area --- the handful of digis out there only trap paths
>of WIDE6-6 and WIDE7-7.  Most of the others in the state will trap anything
>longer than WIDE4-4.  None trap paths shorter than that.

         But the real problem isn't allowing me to use 5 hops, it's that I
don't see anybody unless they use AT LEAST 3 hops, and at three hops it
still isn't reliable.

         Perhaps I should add the following statement to my status text:

         PLEASE ADD CAPTAN,FTSUMN,MELROZ TO YOUR PATH STATEMENT.

         Just a thought...
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info