[aprssig] Does Something Like This Exist?

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Jul 3 11:01:31 EDT 2005

No.  There are no off-the-shelf TNC's with built-in IGate functionality
(a serial to TCP converter is not an IGate and should not be used as
such).

Can it be done?  Yes.  Using a single board computer (a number of
reasonably priced ones are now available) with a minimal Linux installed
running javAPRSSrvr.  It won't have the cutesy HTML configuration
interface (although you are welcome to create such a beast), but it
would have ssh access so all configuration could be done from a secure
command line.  With a more robust Linux installed (including X-Windows
or equivalent GUI) or with Windows installed, you could then have a more
graphical interface.

An HTML interface may be nice, but it should be using ssl, password
protected at a minimum (remember anyone (read hackers) can see your
plain text logins on the Internet).  It is a good idea for a packaged
system and I will post the challenge on the javAPRSSrvr users group.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net