[aprssig] A few thoughts from the road

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jan 29 17:34:45 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:32:24PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
> >>Is an IGATE the solution?  I mean, if people were running
> >>WIDE2-2 so as not to clobber Albuquerque, then I wouldn't
> >>see anything at all without internet connectivity.
> >
> >In the wide open spaces it is perfectly fine to use a larger
> >value of N.  I think most western states will stay with WIDEn-N.
> >Shoudl work just fine for areas like yours.
> >
> >Its only back east and other dense areas where WIDE2-2
> >is preferred.
>
>         But what about places like Albuquerque, where the network is
> (apparently) close to saturation, as Tom wrote?  Anything more than 2-2
> that I use here may get into Albuquerque and add to the mess.

Actually, it's not "may get into Albuquerque," but "do get to
Albuquerque" ---both your home station with (RELAY|WIDE?),TRACE3-3 and
mobile station with (RELAY|WIDE?),WIDE5-5 routinely show up here in
Tijeras, as long as one of your nearby digis is up.  Your home station
made it here last via KA5B,CAPTAN,LAMOSC,RAVEN.  Interestingly, that
means your packets went out about 60 miles *west* of Albuquerque to
Grants, before they got bounced back in to town.  Your mobile's last
packet made it here via BLKWTR as the first hop.

I think the PTB here need to adapt the digi network near Albuquerque
because the city is over-covered by high, wide digis and that makes
for one incredible racket.  The fact that there's a high-wide digi on
every high peak is great where the density of stations is low, but
here in town it's in need of work.  Trapping long paths before they
hit the metro area would probably be good, too, so long as it doesn't
cut distant folks off from Igates.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."