[aprssig] Re: Ambiquity in a KPC-3

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 29 09:57:30 EST 2005

>May I ask -- how is positional ambiquity configured, in say a KPC3+?

As an example my posit is 3859.11N/07629.11W  (my office)
For  0.1mi ambiguity enter 3859.1 N/07629.1 W
for  1 mile ambiguity, enter 3859.  N/07629.   W
for  10 mi ambiguity, enter 386  .   N/0763  .  W
for  60 mi ambiguity, enter 38    .   N/076   .   W

You replace the digits you want replaced with ambiguity
by putting a SPACE character for that field.  Its just like
writing down a position on paper.  Only write down the
precision that is avaiable to you or that you want revealed.

>From DAY-ONE,  position ambiguity was fundamental to
APRS since in some cases exact positons are not known
and in other cases position ambiguity is desired by some.
Its a shame that some APRS clients ignore these subtleties
in APRS.  Many client software ERRONEOUSLY will plot
these ambiguities by simply putting "0"'s in the missing
digits, therefore making it a PRECISELY WRONG position
and diplaying to the end user  PRECISELY WRONG
information!

Bob, Wb4APR