[aprssig] ER-xxxxxx

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 27 13:47:11 EST 2005

>>> mwrobertson at comcast.net 1/27/05 10:23:49 AM >>>
>Who is placing all the EchoLink stations onto the APRS-IS?

We have been experimenting with flowing the status of
nearby IRLP and Echolink nodes into the APRS system since
the concept was presented at DCC in 2000 to help end-users
(mobiles or portables without internet access) to see their
nearby access points from their car.    See:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/avrs.html

There were about a hundred or so doing it, but they had to
install a separate local radio on 144.39 and a separate TNC
just for this purpose.  The current experiment is to make this
info more generally available by letting the local IGates provide
this local information if desired to mobiles in their area.

>There are reasons that some stations may not be able to
>have an "open"  node for just anyone to use, and this could be
>troublesome to have to try to explain to potential users as
>to why it is listed, but not  working and on and on...

The status objects are only generated in real time for working
stations from the central EchoLink site.  Non-working nodes
should not appear.  Since the EchoLink active node list is public,
it does not seem to be inconsistent to  get that info out to the
local users in the vicinity of the nodes.

But I do agree that if there is a provision for a hidden EchoLink
node within the EchoLink system, then it should not be going
into the APRS-IS.

>The next thing we have will be someone gating the stuff out
>onto the RF..

Yes, that is the objective.  For local IGate operators in coordination
and cooperation with his *local* users and IRLP and ECHOlink
operators to decide if the information is of value to the mobile
operator on the front panel of his radio.  If so, the IGate adds
the object to the pass-to-RF list.

These objects should go no farther than the area covered by
the nodes.  They have no value beyond that range...

>So much for Aloha or cutting down on unnecessary bandwidth!

This provision of local ham radio tactical information of immediate
use to the mobile or portable operator seems to be perfectly in
keeping with the objectives of APRS to the mobile operator.  And
since it is local, and since IGates in most areas should not be
sending things beyond their one-hop local areas, then this load
is insignificant compared to the value to the mobile operator.

de Wb4APR, Bob