[aprssig] Re: EL/ER stations showing up on the APRS-IS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 26 18:04:08 EST 2005

>>> k8jwt at adelphia.net 1/26/05 9:29:46 AM >>>
>
>Was wondering what does the information mean in
>the comments line for these stations [showing up as
>EL-CALL and ER-CALL on my map]? ie...
>
>147420/000 on @1453
>144880/203 on @1420

These are ECHOlink nodes.  Their frequency and PL.
Putting them on the APRS-IS is the first step in implementing
"AVRS" (automatic Voice Relay System) which allows an
APRS  mobile to establish a VOICE link to any other APRS
user on the planet by simply sending an APRS "connect"
request to the callsign he wants to converse with...

See:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/avrs.html

The "AVRS" server sees the connect request message,
and handles it from there.  Sending back to the CALLER
and to the CALLEE an object showing them their nearest
nodes and the freq and tone letting them know that
both are currently available and giving them the DTMF
numbers to dial to establish the connection.

One change we have noticed is that we want the object
name to include the ECHOlink or IRLP node number so
that it is more useful to the end APRS user...

de WB4APR, Bob